Monday, November 10, 2008

Bike Gear and Compression

My friends Rebecca and Jason both just purchased new P2c's, which they very much deserved. They both rode on borrowed bikes this entire tri season and pieced together everything. But what was most impressive is that it was their first year of triathlon and they did 2 half ironmans. I started going through my bike drawer to find Rebecca some pedals I have as "extra" so she would not have to buy a new pair (she is riding the mountain bike ones now). I did find them, however, along with that I found EIGHT random skewers.

Now in my entire triathlon life I have only owned four bikes and only one at a time so I can't quite figure this out. These don't include the skewers I have on the race wheels and the training wheels. I do see an HSP one in there (it has red tape), I will get that back to you Todd:)
My only answer is endless rides on the bike trainer, which is a necessity in this Seattle weather.

The tri group did a 13 mile run yesterday in the pouring rain, so wet, I decided to drive my car next to them. Also because the week before I rode my bike and nearly slipped on all the leaves that are falling, not to mention I got another flat and you would think two triathletes (Tracey is was riding with me too) that we would be prepared with our "fix our flat" kits. But oh no. I had to call a friend that was running to bring me a 650 tube that I forgot, then I had a cartridge, however, the extender that breaks the cartridges is still lying at mile 95 in Kona (actually the official picked it up for me) and then tire levers, oops, forgot those too. So I pulled a Stadler and used a stick to change the tire. Then found a cyclist who could fill me up with air. So driving was going to be the answer this week, however, I was just as wet as everyone from unrolling the window so often, good thing I drove with a rain jacket. It was a downpour equivalent to that at the awards ceremony in Kona. Maybe next week I will get it right:)

Now the real news is I was constantly made fun of during training for my compression socks from the man below that won't show his face in this post-run photo.


Road Runner Sports just started carrying the Zensah compression socks, he decides to throw a pair on, wears them all day at work, then comes home and claims he just HAS to feel what it is like to run in them. Double checking that it is pitch black outside and swearing no one will recognize him, he left. Compression socks and all.

To top it all off, we went to his parents last night to watch the pre recorded Ironman Arizona and CDA races and he decided to pull up his pant leg, only to see "thee black socks".

I have converted him and now he gets to take back all his giggles at me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those socks feel really good...my training partner JEFF CUNNINGHAM is super jealous!!!

Anonymous said...

The only time you'll see me wearing those is in my open casket!
Mark, does your leg stubble get caught when you pull them on?

LaVonne said...

I just discovered compression tights and I have to say I really like them after long runs or hard intervals. They are so tight they squeeze out all my fat over the top, so no running in them and I always wear pants over them.

Did you do Hawaii with them on?

Teresa said...

I just wear mine to bed, or around the house. I have yet to run in them, or wear them in public:)