Sunday, March 25, 2012

2012 Mercer Island 10K Race Report

Yep, only one week out from Costa Rica and another race report. But something magical happened upon return. I can't put my finger directly on it, but since the return I have had three of my most fantastic runs in a long time. The pool has also been VERY good to me too. I think a little bit of "tough-arse" competition was what I needed.

Prior to this week a GREAT run would really just fall under the category as mediocre. I think a huge part of this is mental strength and physical strength.  There is SO much anxiety when I go running and depending on intensity it multiplies.  The harder the run the more time in the restroom (sorry if this is TMI). This is where I do better with z2 runs with a little bit of z3/z4 mixed in here and there (this usually limits the bathroom stops to less than 3).   I get anxious, then cold after a stop, then upset, then I must carry on. It is not the exhilarating, take me away, I love running feelings.

I got a small, okay HUGE, dose of suck-it-up-sister if I am going to get faster.   I went out and nailed two runs so decided to show up at the 10K, as part of my long run for the week.  I did a 35' warm up, lots of restroom breaks (thanks to my awesome run buddy who understands this need) and then lined up for the event. 
(Elizabeth-run buddy, Vicki-killer half marathon!, Me)
I believe that not all races are about the time or the place, but more about learning and working on areas you would like to improve upon.The goal: Start out slow, build and then finish strong.  I needed a finish strong race for my own personal confidence.  Coach certainly did not talk me into this event and basically left it up to me.  He believes in me, I was doubting myself.

I followed my plan to a T. The first 1.75 miles were high z3 HR and I felt GREAT.  Just steady, not breathing hard, not pushing, just running and focusing on form.  From there I built by effort.  I went from a 6 (on a scale of 10) to a 7, then to an 8, then to a 9.  By the last two miles I was staying in the same position but really wanting to make up a few places. I watched the two girls I could see ahead of me.  They would definitely get a bit of ground on me on the climbs, but the gap I could close on the downhills and flats.  The final stretch (about .2 miles) is a little downhill a longer uphill and then a slight downhill to the finish chute.  I made the plan to really go for it.  I had to make up as much ground as possible on the downhill to even have a chance in keeping these girls on the uphill. For the first time EVER. I passed two girls in the final stretch.  They both picked it up and left me in a sprint to the finish, but I was able to keep the lead (10th place!).  I FINALLY felt the ounce of confidence that all this run training is paying off.  The power from the late night, rainy hill repeats arrived. The short sprints repeated over and over and over arrived. And the tempo runs arrived all during this short 10K.
My time was not my fastest, but each mile was faster and the last mile was my fastest mile in 2012 yet (been forced to do a few mile tests every now and again). 

What is best about the Mercer Island event is all the local teams, teammates, and friends that come out to participate or cheer.  It was so much fun to see all the fabulous performances and too see all the TNM athletes,too, feeling their hard work pay off and getting that extra boost of confidence.  It has been a wicked winter/fall/spring here with little racing and a lot of training (ie: indoor training) for most.

It was such a pleasurable day to have the sun shining and people smiling! Congratulations!

4 comments:

Steve said...

Congrats. :)

Beth said...

Awesome work TN!!!! Great to see it all coming together!! :-)

Matt said...

great work! way to follow the plan to a T!

BreeWee said...

so friggen happy for you!! I use your TN water bottle everyday and get reminded of your guts!!