Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pain in my....

So, it all added, up...that is the only conclusion I can come to. People often ask "How do you fit it all in?" and the answer is "I don't". If I could fit it ALL in I would and it would look like this:


10 hours of sleep,

Work 6-8 hours a day,

accomplish every workout,
spend time with friends often,

and have a perfectly clean home.


However, this is not my reality, and I strive for it to be, but I don't stress over it (unless I am slacking on one of the above more than I should be).


With the wedding, the travel, the dress fittings :), things were going great. I was somehow getting it all in (for the most part...you see, I try to get 100% of my scheduled workouts in, but I listen to my body and sleep and work come first, or else a colitis attack takes over and I am O.U.T.).

Then things got a little more challenging to fit in and I tried my best to balance it.

Some of the crazy things I accomplished:

Home-made wedding invitations. (This is actually relaxing to me...I do the Christmas cards too)

Run/tan in middle of run/finish run. (had to get in one last spray before the big day)

Extend Hawaii trip (able to train/relax), fly home and be on another flight within 7 hours.

Walking lunges on pool deck while teaching to fit in a much needed workout (Oh, I hope my boss doesn't see this).

All of which, I would never change, as the last few weeks have been a blast enjoying the sunshine-filled life of Kona, watch amazing athletes race, and living it up!

The last day in Boise my body said "no more" and granted me with neck/back pain that has left me sidelined for the past two weeks. Okay, maybe not 100% sidelined but only able to do about 1/8th of my "ideal-fit-it-all-in-life".
It then soon became a balancing act of accpuncture, massage, heating pads, chiro appts. My time disappeared with all this running around (too bad I couldn't do that on my bike).
But now, that screaming achy neck is nearly better and the back spasms be gone (I know this because I can tie my own shoes now and put on jeans....this made it very difficult to shop, which happens to be my cure-all for everything!).


(A pic of my reminder that life is good and everything happens for some special reason)

So things are looking up, as soon as I said forget about the rest of tri season, it turned and I am finding myself signing up for some more races (well, I am going to give it two more days). I love this sport, my friends that I can train with and taking it away was a cruel something, but must have been a must-needed thing that, now I can see the end in sight, will appreciate the lesson and continue to train on!

5 comments:

Christi said...

I understand where you are coming from and I am not planning a wedding. Balancing life is hard but sometimes we had to make allowances and move on. Sounds like you are doing a great job at it!

Anonymous said...

That is a lot to try to fit in. Balance is definitely hard and it's good to hear I am not the only one who doesn't possess superhuman powers!! LOL! I think it's great that you know how to listen to your body :). Enjoy your race planning and shopping!! Yay for new stuff :-D

Beth said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better!! I feel like you sometimes - it's nearly impossible to make it all work!! But seems as if you do a darn great job of it!! :) Excited to read all about your upcoming races! :)

Charisa said...

It's so hard to balance it all sometimes. So I always just have a house that is never clean - haha! Glad your back is healing.

Maggs said...

That's a lot going on. Sometimes things have to fall by the wayside and get picked up later. It would be boring if it weren't that way.