Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pluggin' away!

This blog has been on vacation while I have been working. NOT FAIR?! Okay, maybe it is because I am so excited to be seeing improvements every week in my training. And if I look back to 12 weeks ago the gains look pretty significant. This is excites me and leaves me with that burning desire to set some real goals and AIM high!





Back up to six months ago when I could workout but could not see any fitness gains, in fact, all I could do is soak in my own pity on how far I had fallen. I had a process in my head that thought:
#1 When you can’t workout you just can’t work out, accept it, make use of your time and heal.
#2 You now “GET” to workout, enjoy it, love it, and be thankful.
#3 You will soon be where you want to be and ready to race. Just like magic.



I believe so much that if you know you are giving all you can and doing all you can to succeed then you WILL succeed. But the success I was looking for was not coming at the rate I was expecting.

The third was the biggest wake up call. After 8 weeks of solid training (ie: no hospital visits, the humira seems to be working, etc), I was struggling. How could it be SO hard to get back in shape. How come when I was in shape all I did was want more. To be faster, to critique my performance, to not embrace the fitness I worked so hard for?



Of course that is a logical method as an athlete looking to be their best. And I understand we must evaluate where we are at and what we can do better to improve BUT why is it so often overlooked when we are at our peak? As an athlete if you have given your all, day in and day out in training and put it all out on the line on race day, then the only thing you should do is embrace your accomplishments. Be proud of your gains and appreciate all your hard work.

I needed a major overhaul in my training and approach in order to “see” improvements. My volume is still very low, my intensity is high, and I am keeping a solid balance in all three disciples. Strength training is up a ton. Not traditional strength training, a lot of pilates and sport specific plyometrics with bands, drills, and dynamic stretching (Thanks to Kinetic Force and Curt). I am doing a lot of the same workouts over and over to see gains. Typically I love a ton of variety, but it is not the best for me right now.

De-training is a must in all training programs, but I de-trained to nothing. Every muscle disappeared. In fact, I had my first shoulder injury from loss of muscle and sleeping so much on one side (when I was sick I slept a minimum of 12-14 hours a day and all on my right side).

I can honestly say that I am doing nearly everything (come on, I love chocolate cake!) in my power to do the best I can right now. Does this mean I am following my plan 100%, NOPE, not the written down workouts, BUT I am listening to my body and doing as much as it allows me to. I continue to plug away each and every day looking for little improvements, setting super small goals and looking at my new goals for 2012!



Lets just say I am loving it!

10 comments:

JC said...

TN - AWESOME news! Soooo Happy for you:) Great that you are listening to your body.
Hugs!

Steve said...

Glad you are doing better. I hope for a happy and healthy 2012 for you. :)

Christi said...

I am glad that things are getting better. You are an inspiration to me. I have let my fitness fall but I have no excuses for why. I will follow your lead and do what I can until I am back on track.

You go girl!

Beth said...

Awesome update!!! 2012 is going to be a great one for you. You have so many fans (myself included) really cheering you on!!! :)

GoBigGreen said...

Great to hear you are doing well. Like BS said, 2012 is going to be great. Keep up the patience TN, and enjoy the holidays!

Matt said...

Stoked to hear things are going so well. Training gains sounds great! Glad to hear the Humria is working, my buddy had some issues at first with it.

Anonymous said...

YAY you blogged!! Great to hear you are seeing some gains in your fitness and the new treatment is working. :)

This post meant A LOT to me and I can completely relate. Perhaps not to the same extreme, but nonetheless it really hit home. Thank you!

Happy training TN!!! :)

Christie said...

It is wonderful to hear things are looking up for you. All you have been through and you still are pushing on forward with fight... such an inspiration to me!! Excited to follow you through 2012.

Kiet said...

I know you now, you are always strong, and you always take awesome traincations, and really, that's what it's all about. Hope we end up on a traincation together in 2012.

D said...

I am absolutely petrified to start training again (if it ever happens). I live in fear of just how untrained I am.

YOU will bounce back and be stronger than ever. And 2012? It will be what it will be, but I know you'll be smiling and having as much fun as you can! :)